OFFICE ADMINISTRATOR (August 30, 2019)
“Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of services, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who activates all of them in everyone. To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.” – 1 Corinthians 12:4-7
John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, shared three simple rules that with God’s help and our willingness have the power to change how we live and work. These three simple rules are: 1) Do No Harm; 2) Do Good; 3) Stay in Love with God.
Position: The Onalaska United Methodist Church is seeking an Office Administrator. The successful candidate will be a self-starter who possesses the leadership, communication, and organizational skills to oversee the daily functioning of a church office and be a partner in ministry with staff, volunteers, and church community.
Principle Focus: The Office Administrator is often the first contact person of welcome and hospitality for anyone coming into the church. The Office Administrator is a partner in ministry with the ministry program personnel and provides administrative support to the staff, volunteers, small groups, and committees.
Community & Ministry Environment: Onalaska is a community of nearly 18,000, located along the Mississippi River near La Crosse – home of the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse and Viterbo University. The community of Onalaska is built on a ridge overlooking the scenic Mississippi River Valley and located on I-90 between Minneapolis-St. Paul and Chicago. The church, located just off Main St. in Onalaska, is a vital, welcoming congregation. A mix of families, singles, and seniors, members and friends total approximately 800.
Skills and Requirements:
- Effective organization and time management skills.
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities.
- Attention to detail and competency in completing tasks on deadline.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; strong interpersonal skills,
- Ability to keep confidences.
- Commitment to working with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to create a welcoming, hospitable environment.
- Ability to maintain a neat, clean, organized, and professional office environment.
- Ability to maintain and operate office equipment including, but not limited to, voice mail systems, copiers, paper folder, and fax machine.
- Demonstrable expertise in the use of database applications and Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher, and PowerPoint
- Ability to use or learn internet and social media platforms including Gmail, Facebook,Google, YouTube, and WordPress.
- Clerical abilities and experience in an administrative office setting.
- Associate degree in business administration (preferred) with 2 years administrative experience or equivalent.
- Must pass background check and drug screening.
- Maintain master calendar of meetings and events for church.
- Receive and monitor phone calls to church.
- Conduct all office correspondence, including written correspondence, email reminders, verbal commitments, etc.
- Pick up and distribute mail.
- Prepare bills for payment and provide them to the church treasurer weekly.
- Prepare weekly Sunday bulletin and announcements.
- Prepare weekly PowerPoint presentations for worship.
- Send committee minutes as requested.
- Prepare quarterly newsletter.
- Send quarterly financial statements and prepare year-end reports for Annual Church Conference.
- Maintain and upgrade church website and Facebook as necessary.
- Prioritize and coordinate equipment, facility repairs, and maintenance as needed.
- Maintain and update church membership, visitor database, offering envelope data, and mailing lists.
- Control office supply inventory and order supplies as needed.
This position description is not intended to encompass every job duty or responsibility, but is only illustrative. Other duties may be assigned or required.
Compensation: The position pays $13-15 per hour based on qualifications for approximately 26 hours per week position, plus paid personal time off (PTO). After one year, this position is eligible for matching contributions to a 403(b) retirement plan.
To Apply: Send letter of interest and resume c/o SPRC to…
– or –
Onalaska United Methodist Church, 212 4th Ave. N., Onalaska, WI 54650
Applications are requested by September 15, 2019.
Onalaska United Methodist Church is an Equal Opportunity Employer